FAQ · Weather · Complete Guide

What happens if the weather is bad for a Marrakech balloon flight?

Quick answer

If wind or visibility makes flying unsafe, your flight is rebooked for the next available morning during your stay, or refunded in full if you can't reschedule — you won't lose your deposit or payment either way. Cancellation rates in Marrakech are genuinely low, since the region sees over 300 sunny days a year, but this guide covers exactly how the decision is made, when you'll find out, and how to plan your trip so a rare cancellation doesn't cost you the experience entirely.

Weather is the one part of a hot air balloon flight that no operator, however good, can control — and it's a fair thing to want clarity on before you pay a deposit or plan a morning around it. The honest answer is that a properly run operation treats a weather cancellation as a routine, well-rehearsed process rather than a crisis: pilots make the call using fixed criteria, guests are notified promptly, and refunds or rebooking happen without a fight. This guide goes through exactly how that process works, what "bad weather" actually means for a balloon specifically, and how to structure your trip so a cancellation is a minor inconvenience rather than a missed experience.

What actually counts as "bad weather" for a balloon

This is narrower than you might expect. Marrakech gets very little rain, so the conditions that actually ground a balloon flight are almost always wind (speed or unpredictable direction at altitude) or reduced visibility from morning fog or haze — not rain or general cloudiness. A slightly overcast sky doesn't necessarily cancel a flight; a gusty, shifting wind pattern does, since balloons have no engine to correct for it. Pilots assess these two factors specifically in the hours before dawn, which is why a decision often isn't made — or communicated to you — until quite late the night before or very early on the morning itself.

How the decision is actually made

Pilots assess wind speed, direction and visibility using a fixed set of limits agreed before the season starts — not a judgement call made under pressure to avoid disappointing a fully-booked morning. If conditions fall outside those limits, the flight is cancelled rather than risked, regardless of how many guests are booked in or how much revenue is on the line for the operator. This is precisely the distinction worth checking for when comparing operators generally, covered in more depth in our safety FAQ: an operator willing to lose a morning's bookings rather than fly in marginal conditions is a genuinely different thing from one that stretches its own definition of "acceptable" to avoid issuing refunds.

See our full safety standards

How we vet every operator's weather discipline before listing them.

Read our safety page →

When you'll actually find out

You'll be notified by WhatsApp or phone as early as possible once the call is made — usually the evening before if conditions look marginal in the forecast, or very early on the morning itself if the situation only becomes clear closer to dawn. This is one of the practical advantages of booking direct rather than through a marketplace: you have a direct line for this notification rather than waiting on a platform's general notification system, which can add delay exactly when you need clarity fastest (typically before 5am, while you're deciding whether to set an alarm).

Who actually makes the call, and how far in advance

The pilot flying that specific morning makes the final call, using weather data checked in the hours immediately before dawn — typically balloon-specific wind readings at multiple altitudes, since wind at ground level can differ significantly from wind at 300–800m where the balloon actually flies. This is one reason the decision often can't be made the day before with full confidence: conditions genuinely can shift overnight, and a forecast that looks marginal at 8pm sometimes clears by 4am, or vice versa. A responsible operator communicates this uncertainty honestly rather than promising a decision earlier than the weather itself allows.

What happens to your hotel pickup if the flight is cancelled

If the cancellation is decided before your pickup time, you simply won't be collected, and you'll be notified so you can go back to sleep or adjust your morning plans. If, in the rare case, conditions look acceptable at pickup time but change before the launch field, you'd be brought back to your hotel rather than left waiting at the launch site — though this scenario is uncommon precisely because pilots err on the side of caution earlier in the process rather than waiting until guests have already been collected.

  • Rebook for the next available morning during your stay, at no extra cost — this is what most guests choose if their itinerary has any flexibility left.
  • Request a full refund of whatever you've paid, whether that's a 20% deposit or the full amount — see our cancellation policy for exactly how refunds are processed.

Neither option involves losing any money or fighting for a refund — a weather cancellation is treated as entirely separate from a guest-initiated cancellation, and doesn't fall under the same 24-hour notice rules that apply if you personally decide to cancel or change your plans.

How rare is a weather cancellation, honestly?

Genuinely uncommon, particularly during the October to April peak season, when Marrakech's air is at its calmest and clearest. The region sees over 300 days of sun a year, and the specific combination of low wind and good visibility needed for a safe flight holds on the vast majority of mornings during peak season. Cancellations become somewhat more common — though still not frequent — during the shoulder months of late spring and early autumn, when weather patterns are more transitional. If your dates are flexible, flying during peak season is the simplest way to minimise this risk from the outset.

Planning your trip around the (small) chance of a cancellation

The single most useful thing you can do is avoid scheduling your balloon flight for your very last morning in Marrakech. If a cancellation happens on your only available morning, rebooking isn't possible and a refund is your only option — which means missing the experience entirely rather than simply flying a day later. Building in even one buffer day transforms a weather cancellation from "missed the flight" into "flew a day later than planned." Our itinerary planning guide covers this and other scheduling considerations in more detail.

Ready to pick a date with a buffer built in?

Check availability and book with confidence.

Go to booking →

What if I'm only in Marrakech for one or two mornings?

If your schedule genuinely doesn't allow a buffer day, it's worth booking as early in your trip as your itinerary allows, rather than saving it for the end — this at least preserves the option of trying again the following morning if the first one is cancelled, before you'd otherwise have already left. If your entire visit is a single night, understand upfront that a cancellation in this scenario means a refund rather than a rebooking, since there's no second morning available to reschedule into.

Does a weather cancellation affect my deposit differently than a full payment?

No — both are treated identically. If you paid a 20% deposit, that amount is refunded in full (or held toward a rebooked flight, your choice); if you paid the full amount upfront, the same logic applies to the complete sum. Weather cancellations are never subject to any cancellation fee or partial refund, regardless of which payment option you originally chose. See our booking guide for how the deposit and full-payment options work at checkout.

Is a weather cancellation different for Private or Royal flights?

No — the same wind and visibility limits apply regardless of tier, since they're a function of the balloon and the physical conditions, not the number of passengers or the price paid. A Private or Royal flight is exactly as likely (or unlikely) to be affected by weather as a Classic flight on the same morning, and the same rebooking and refund options apply across all three tiers.

What about heat, rather than wind?

Extreme heat isn't typically a cancellation factor the way wind is, but it does affect timing — during the hottest months (roughly June through August), flights depart earlier, sometimes as early as 4:30am, specifically to catch calm air before the day's heat generates thermals that would otherwise ground the flight later in the morning. This is a scheduling adjustment rather than a cancellation risk in itself; see our seasonal flying guide for how pickup times shift throughout the year.

How this compares to how airlines handle weather delays

If you're used to commercial airline weather policies — vouchers, rebooking fees, hours on hold — the balloon industry's approach is generally more straightforward, largely because the stakes and logistics are smaller. There's no seat inventory to manage across a wider network, no connecting flights to rebook around, and typically a direct line to the people making the decision rather than a call centre. Most guests who experience a weather cancellation describe the process as quick and low-friction compared to what they'd expect from air travel more broadly.

What tools and data pilots actually use to decide

Pilots don't rely on a general weather app the way a traveller checking tomorrow's forecast might. Balloon-specific decisions draw on wind readings at multiple altitude bands (since surface wind and wind at 500m can differ substantially), visibility reports, and local knowledge of how conditions typically develop around Marrakech's specific terrain — the Palmeraie, Agafay and Ourika launch zones each have slightly different microclimates shaped by nearby terrain features. Experienced pilots also cross-reference how a similar pressure pattern behaved on previous mornings, which is part of why a locally-based, experienced operator tends to make more reliable calls than one applying generic aviation weather minimums without local context.

Why the decision sometimes seems to change late

It can be frustrating to hear "looking marginal" at 9pm and then get a final cancellation call at 4:30am, but this reflects how genuinely fast conditions can shift in the hours before dawn rather than indecision on the operator's part. Committing to a firm yes/no the evening before would mean either cancelling flights unnecessarily (when conditions clear up overnight) or flying in conditions that later prove unsafe (when they don't) — neither is an improvement on waiting for the most accurate data available, even if that means a later confirmation than you'd prefer.

What happens to your breakfast booking if you're cancelled after pickup

In the rare scenario where a group is already collected and en route when conditions deteriorate, the breakfast portion of the morning is sometimes still offered even if the flight itself doesn't go ahead — operators vary on this, so it's worth asking specifically if you want to know your operator's exact practice. This scenario is uncommon precisely because pilots build in a safety margin earlier in the decision chain, but it's a fair question to ask when you book if you want full clarity on every contingency.

Comparing Marrakech's cancellation rate to other balloon destinations

Marrakech's climate — over 300 sunny days a year, with a long dry season — gives it a naturally lower weather-cancellation rate than many other ballooning regions. Compare this to destinations with more variable maritime climates, where cancellation rates during certain months can run meaningfully higher due to more frequent low cloud, fog or unpredictable coastal wind patterns. This is part of why Marrakech has become a reliable year-round balloon destination rather than one with a narrow, unpredictable flying window — see our Marrakech vs Cappadocia comparison for how this plays out against the world's other major balloon hub.

What a good operator does differently during a cancellation

The practical difference between a well-run operation and a poorly-run one during a weather cancellation isn't whether cancellations happen — every legitimate operator cancels sometimes — it's how the communication and resolution are handled. A good operator notifies you proactively rather than making you check in yourself, offers a rebooking option before you have to ask for one, and processes refunds without requiring repeated follow-up. If you've had a frustrating cancellation experience with a different activity in the past, these are the specific things worth asking about upfront: how will I be told, how fast, and what exactly are my options.

Does travel insurance cover a weather-cancelled balloon flight?

This depends entirely on your specific policy, and it's worth checking rather than assuming either way. Some travel insurance policies treat a weather-cancelled activity as a covered "trip interruption" event eligible for reimbursement if you can't get a refund from the operator directly; others exclude activity-specific cancellations entirely. Since our own policy already provides a full refund or free rebooking for weather cancellations, this is generally a moot point for flights booked with us — but it's a reasonable question to ask if you're booking with an operator whose weather policy is less generous.

What if I disagree with the pilot's decision to cancel?

This comes up occasionally when conditions look calm from the ground but a pilot cancels based on wind readings at altitude that aren't visible to passengers standing on the ground. It's worth trusting this judgement rather than pushing back — wind that feels negligible at ground level can be considerably stronger and more turbulent at 300–800m, and this exact gap between ground-level perception and actual flying conditions is precisely why the decision is made by a trained pilot with instrument data rather than left to a general sense of "it looks fine outside."

The bottom line

A weather cancellation in Marrakech is uncommon, especially if you're flying during the October–April season, and when it does happen, the process is straightforward: notification as early as possible, then a choice between rebooking at no extra cost or a full refund with no fees attached. The only real risk worth planning around is scheduling your only available morning as your very last one in the city — build in a single buffer day if your itinerary allows it, and weather stops being something worth worrying about at all.

Ready to check availability?

Pay a 20% deposit or in full — by PayPal or bank transfer.

Go to booking →

Related questions

Can I cancel my booking?

Our 24-hour free cancellation policy explained.

Read more →

What's the best time of year to fly?

When cancellations are least likely.

Read more →

Is it safe?

Why weather discipline is the real safety factor.

Read more →